Monday, March 20, 2006

No Surprise....Annual VoIP Survey Reveals Mass Migration

This honestly really doesn't surprise me.

According to a recent global survey conducted by Integrated Research, 78 per cent of large companies are deploying IP telephony, and the mass conversion isn't always due to PABX systems coming to their end-of-life. The main drivers of this trend are IP applications and enhanced communication capabilities such as IP-based video conferencing.

The results of the 2004 survey showed the key factors driving IP telephony adoption was the reduction of operating costs and the perception that IP telephony had come of age due to enhanced features such as video conferencing. The 2005 survey results showed these continue to be the key factors.

IP-based video conferencing was of immediate interest for 70 per cent of those surveyed and shows a clear willingness to exploit the enhanced capabilities that IP telephony provides over traditional telephony.

A total of 1,232 executives participated in the online study in late 2005 -- a year on from Integrated Research's similar study on this topic that provided a clear comparison with which to measure trends. The U.S. accounted for 34 per cent of overall respondents, while Europe, Australia/Oceania and Asia, Africa, and the Middle East accounted for the remaining 66 per cent.

Seventy-eight per cent of those surveyed were at various stages of voice over IP (VoIP) deployment or adoption. Only 6 per cent were unsure of their plans to adopt the technology.

One per cent of overall deployments were considered to have failed. Of these, over half failed during testing or pilot phase, with the remainder failing shortly after going 'live.'

This figure adds weight to the importance of pre-deployment assessment and the use of specific management tools. The survey results show respondents now also understand that system performance monitoring of applications and networks is the key criteria for successful IP telephony deployment. This is despite the still popular but misleading notion that existing data management tools are adequate for the purpose.

Cisco's dominance of the market increased from 43 per cent in 2004 to 62 per cent in 2005. This reconfirms Cisco's position as the leading provider of VoIP infrastructure technology.

The survey also shows more organizations now choosing to self deploy by up-skilling staff in the new technology rather than rely on systems integrators.

According to Integrated Research, "The maturation of the IP telephony enterprise market is speeding up exponentially -- this can be attributed to the fact that the hardware, application, and management tools are now so advanced that it is easier for organizations to slipstream in their wake."

To download the full results of the survey....go to "2005 IP Telephony Market Survey"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home